02 May Action Plan I: Simple yet effective action plan to PREVENT, CONTROL and DEFEAT N-COV ARD, What Who Declared as Global Emergency
AS CORONA VIRUS IS SPREADING FAST, SO DOES ONLINE MIS-INFORMATION. Let us focus on a simple but effective action plan to prevent, control and defeat what WHO declared as Global Emergency.
I get more than 300 messages (email, viber, whatsapp) a day on how to prevent and/or control n-CoV ARD. My reply to all your messages. . .
Professor of Epidemiology Marc Lipsitch, director of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health’s Center for Communicable Disease and an expert on the spread of infectious diseases, including his work during the SARS coronavirus outbreak in 2003.
“As far as concrete actions, there’s very little anyone can do except practice basichygiene — hand washing, cough and sneeze etiquette, as they call it — into yourelbow to avoid aerosolizing your viruses.”
ASIDE FROM THE ABOVE, WE CAN PRACTICE THE FOLLOWING TO BOOST OUR IMMUNE SYSTEM… AFTERALL, IT IS OUR FIRST AND LAST LINE OF DEFENSE.
Within us is an amazing network of protector and defender cells, tissues, and organs to help us fight all forms of diseases. They are programmed to protect and defend us against millions of bacteria, microbes, viruses, toxins, and parasites that would love to invade our body. These are the super heroes I call IMMUNE SYSTEM. THE PAYHWAYS TO A STRONG IMMUNE SYSTEM:
HEALTHY DIET / NUTRITIONAL THERAPY
Food functions to rebuild living tissues, supply energy and preserve a proper medium in which the biochemical processes of the body can take place. If the food we eat fails to adequately perform these functions, then our immune system become compromised, the body cannot utilize the bioactive of each food, and toxicity develops. Disease and, ultimately, death sets in. The foods that fights viral infection and deter chronic disease growth are generally the same: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, spices and micro-algae. All have important nutrients and other infection-fighting substances (phytochemicals) that strengthen immune function. Choose different colors of produce to obtain the full spectrum of complementary nutrients that your body needs. Consider planting, eating and buying organic foods to avoid antibiotics, artificial growth hormones, high fructose corn syrup, artificial dyes made from tar and petrochemicals, artificial sweeteners derived from chemicals, chemical pesticide and fertilizers, genetically engineered proteins and ingredients, sewage sludge and irradiation. All of these weaken our immune system.
- Feed our body with nutritious meals / avoid junk, processed, fast foods and drinks
- Snack on boiled or uncooked banana, steamed sweet potato, steamed cassava
- Hydrate well with coconut water, purified water with: lemon, calamansi, cucumber, lemon grass, tarragon, peppermint (choose one)
- Keep sweets down to fruits: mangoes, local orange, jack fruit, sour sop.
- Spice it Up. TURMERIC TEA + GINGER and GARLIC TONIC
infuse fresh turmeric root, Fresh Ginger root and Garlic. Boil 1-2 cups of distilled water. Meanwhile, wash thoroughly 9-18pcs organic fresh turmeric root / 1-62 inche(s) ginger root / 5 cloves organic garlic. Slice thinly or grate after washing. Add to boiling water, turn off the stove, cover the pan and infuse or steep for 10 minutes. Cool and 2-3 times a day. (rebuilding the immune and best anti-inflammatory remedy).
- Go Green: steam or juice leaves of sweet potato, Moringa, Malavar spinach (alugbati) and other local greens
- If meat cannot be avoided, limit intake and ensure high quality meat
- Drink Power Teas: Green, Matcha, Sencha, Chamomile, Ginger
- Go for an Oil Change: VCO for Oil pulling or 1tbsp added to berry smoothie.
USE N95 MASK
- N95 respirators are designed to prevent 95 per cent of small particles from entering the nose and mouth area. But they only work if they fit properly, and aren’t suitable for children or people with facial hair.
- N95 respirators can also feel like it is more difficult for a person to breathe. It may be challenging at first to breathe through the mask, but after a while it should feel more natural.
AVOID LARGE GATHERINGS AND CONGESTED PLACES
Health authorities are cautioning against travelling to the affected region unless absolutely necessary to travel.
GET PYSICAL: EXERCISE & MOVEMENT
Every day or at least three times a week. start with 10-15 minutes. Increase on increments of 15 minutes every after 3-5 days until you reach 45 minutes a day. Best to walk outdoors with the first morning sun. If using trampoline, 10 minutes every day. or treadmill- 15 to 20 minutes every day.
LET THE SUNSHINE IN
20-30 minutes a day. Vitamin D is the Natural Immunotherapy. Vitamin D is not an optional supplement. It is a nonnegotiable cellular necessity. It is our life health support system.
SPEND TIME FOR SILENCE, PRAYER AND MEDITATION
Psalm 91: 1-6
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely, he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
BE NOT AFRAID!
“Anxiety is the greatest evil that can befall a soul except sin. God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry.” -St. Francis de Sales
“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”
WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE.
Yes, the world need each other. We are brothers and sisters. Let us reach out and help someone.
“China deserves the International Community’s gratitude and respect for efforts to fight virus outbreak.” – Director General of WHO.
“Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.” – Paulo Coelho
While everyone should take precautions, the current virus outbreak already shows several points that allow us to calibrate our responses.The Manila Times
The 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (2019-nCoV ARD) has a low mortality compared to tuberculosis, the flu, the human immunodeficiency virusacquired immunodeficiency syndrome (HIV-AIDS), etc….Over 1.5 million a year die from tuberculosis; the flu killed an estimated 80,000 in the United States alone in 2017 and 2018 (Center for Disease Control); and more than 1.5 million are newly infected with HIV-AIDS each year, with some over 600 thousand dying each year. The 2019-nCoV trajectory of mortality is much lower, with less than 5 percent mortality so far out of some 20 percent of people who are susceptible when exposed, usually those with weakened immune systems. (The Chinese researchers themselves warned though that this data may not yet be at stabilized levels, and could still mutate.)
“YOUR ONLY JOB IS TO LOVE THE TRUTH, EVERYDAY” – Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez
BE CALM, VERIFY NEWS AND GET PERSPECTIVE.
We need a response and management system for all types of outbreaks, calamities, economic and other crises — which should arise from facts and logic, discipline, good execution, and not the emotions, hysteria, unverified news and advice of people who have more opinions than record of success or experience.
Globalization’s challenges will no longer be solved by a “you-against-me attitude,” but “ a we-against-real threats to humanity”!
– George Siy, Director of the Integrated Development Studies Institute (IDSI).
HARNESS THE POWER OF ESSENTIAL OILS
Essential oils are one of the most untapped resources of the world. My practice of Integrative medicine started with clinical aromatherapy. It is indispensable in my daily life and in the clinic. Essential oils are very effective, not just on the cellular and physical level, but also in the emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and aesthetic areas of our lives. They provide a system of medicine which is in total biochemical harmony with the human body, and also non-invasive. My children grew up with essential oils, from small insect bites to upper respiratory infections. They also used it for overall wellbeing, such as peppermint for clarity of mind for daily activities.
- STEAM INHALATION – at least once a day unless you have colds or cough. For healthy lungs, immune system and/or any upper respiratory conditions, throat and/or sinus problems. Daily steam inhalation (using a big towel over your head as a tent). Add one drop each of eucalyptus, lavender and tea tree essential oils (one after the other, not all together), in newly boiled water. Alternate … inhale through the mouth and exhale through the nose . . . inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth.
- TEA TREE MOUTH WASH – twice a day, morning and before bedtime. Half a glass of warm water + 1-2 drops of pure tea tree essential oil.
- LAVENDER – relaxes body and reduces stress, promotes restful sleep, promotes healthy skin and supports hormone balance, supports healthy blood sugar and blood sugar levels
- EUCALYPTUS – improves respiratory condition, relieves cough, improves seasonal allergies, fights infections, reduces pain and inflammation, alleviates, headaches, aids wound care, improves earaches, boosts mental clarity.
- TEA TREE – soothe skin irritations, fight bacterial, fungal and viral infections, helps prevent antibiotic resistance, relieve congestion and respiratory tract infection, help treat scabies, prevent and improve bad breath.
- FRANKINCENSE – reduces inflammation, contains cancer-fighting properties, increases spiritual awareness, boosts immunity, fights infections, improves anxiety, heals skin.
- ORANGE- immunity enhancer, natural antibacterial, kitchen cleaner and ant repellant, lower blood pressure (improves blood flow and fights hypertension), reduces pain from headaches, anti-inflammatory, pain reducer, anxiety calmer and mood booster, better sleep, skin saver (promote production of collagen), natural mouthwash and gum protector.
Herbs were once the primary means of treating illnesses and assuring ongoing good health. The seemingly mystical healing properties of various herbs and botanicals have helped cure all manner of afflictions. There are herbal preparations for detoxification and various blends for common health conditions. Mounting evidence indicates that herbal preparations have disease/infection-fighting properties, and that many herbs and botanicals help build a strong immune system, our first and last line of defense. Let us utilize nature’s greatest gift to mankind: herbs! The delightful secret of “nature’s gift” is that it can be part of our diet. It is amazing how each herbal preparation comes with a list of medicinal benefits that keep us healthy and strong, and how medicine can be enjoyable.
- UNICELLULAR THERAPY – Going green, after all, is in. Maintain a healthy immune system all year long with Unicellular Therapy is an incredible nutritional powerhouse and immunity-boosting therapy. Powerful and nutrient-dense complete food, a full-spectrum cocktail of nutrients: has 60% protein / vitamins A, C, E and D, as well as folic acid, pantothenic acid, biotin and other B vitamins / loaded with essential minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and calcium, as well as manganese, zinc, sodium, iodine and copper – all of which are known to support a healthy immune system / amino acids, as well as healthy fats, fiber, antioxidants and enzymes, including Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF), a nucleotide-peptide complex not found in any other superfood.
- IMMUNE BOOSTER – A nourishing supplement for the entire human body: nervous, musculoskeletal, circulatory, digestive, respiratory, endocrine, reproductive, urinary, and immune systems. A strong Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti- aging, prevents cancer, cardiovascular, autoimmune diseases, and other chronic conditions.
- LUNG AIDE – Proven effective for coughs, chest colds, sinus congestion, flu, hay fever, allergies, environmental irritants, bronchitis, sore throat, andasthma symptoms. Filled with potent antioxidants that protect the lung cells from damage caused by tobacco smoke and air pollution. Absolutely safe for adults, children, and even infants.
- IMMUNE AID – Homeopathic remedy for viruses, flu, colds, cough, and sore throat.
GET YOUR ZZZZZ
Medical researchers are discovering that sleep is our body’s way of recharging your immune system, explaining why poor sleepers are prone to infections and heart disease. Research shows that the immune system needs 9 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely. One day without sleep reduces cognitive performance by 30%, and two days by 60%. Poor sleep patterns are linked to poor health, and those who sleep less than six hours a night have a shorter life expectancy than those who sleep for longer.
- Immune function—Interactions between sleep and the immune system have been well documented. Sleep deprivation increases the levels of many inflammatory mediators, and infections in turn affect the amount and patterns of sleep. While scientists are just beginning to understand these interactions, early work suggests that sleep deprivation may decrease the ability to resist infection like common cold. In a recent study, people who averaged less than seven hours of sleep a night were about three times more likely to develop cold symptoms than study volunteers who got eight or more hours of sleep when exposed to the cold-causing rhinovirus. In addition, those individuals who got better quality sleep were the least likely to come down with a cold. – Harvard Medical School
- During sleep, your immune system releases proteins called cytokines, some of which help promote sleep. Certain cytokines need to increase when you have an infection or inflammation, or when you’re under stress. Sleep deprivation may decrease production of these protective cytokines. In addition, infectionfightingnantibodies and cells are reduced during periods when you don’t get enough sleep. – Mayo Clinic
- During normal physiological sleep, blood levels of cortisol, norepinephrine and epinephrine drop while growth factors such as growth hormone, prolactin, and melatonin increase. Cortisol, our stress and immune-regulating hormone has a circadian rhythm independent of sleep, and nocturnal shifts result in increased immune cell activity at night. Sleep, particularly slow wave sleep, supports adaptive immunity, the memory defense that works in concert with the front line innate immune system. – GreenMedInfo
RECIPE TO BOOST IMMUNITY
Bone broth fasts can increase beneficial bacteria living in the gut, which are highly correlated with stronger immunity. Good bacteria in the gut (often called probiotics) can actually turn on certain genes that help regulate inflammation and turn down numerous types of unwanted symptoms. Consuming bone broth along with fermented foods is one of the most ancient ways known to improve health overall.
ORGANIC CHICKEN BROTH PREPARATIONS @ HOME . . .
Bone broth is one of the most healing foods you can consume. It’s rich in nutrients like gelatin and glycine, which help boost your immune system, heals the digestive system and improves joint health. Bone broth contain minerals in form that your body can easily absorb: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur etc. It also contains chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine.
Bone Broth Ingredients
- 2 pounds (or more) of bones from a healthy source
- 2 chicken feet for extra gelatin (optional)
- 2 onion (sliced in half lengthwise and quartered)
- 3 carrots
- 5 stalks of celery
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 bunch of parsley, 1 tablespoon or more of himalayan salt, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, additional herbs or spices to taste. I also add 1 bulb of garlic & 5pcs fresh turmeric root for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Large crock pot/slow cooker to cook the broth and a stainless strainer toremove the pieces when it is done.
Bone Broth Instructions
The first step in preparing to make broth is to gather and save organic bones/carcass: wings, legs, neck, bones of entire chicken If possible for making the broth.
Aim for 2 pounds of bones per one gallon of water to make the broth. You can also add 2 chicken feet per gallon of water (for extra gelatin).Place the bones in the crock pot/slow cooker. Pour (filtered) water over the bones and add the vinegar. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes in the cool water. The acid helps make the nutrients in the bones more available.
Rough chop and add the vegetables (except the parsley and garlic,) to the pot. Add any salt, pepper, spices, or herbs.
Now, bring the broth to a boil. Once it has reached a vigorous boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer until done. Please take note of the simmering/cooking time:
- Chicken or poultry broth/stock: 24 hours
- Beef broth/stock: 48 hours
- Fish broth: 8 hours
During the first few hours of simmering, you’ll need to remove the impurities that float to the surface. A frothy/foamy layer will form and it can be easily scooped off with a big spoon. Throw this part away. I typically check it every 20 minutes for the first 2 hours to remove this. Grass-fed and healthy animals will produce much less of this than conventional animals.
During the last 30 minutes, add the garlic and parsley.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Strain using a fine stainless steel strainer to remove all the bits of bone and vegetable. When cool enough, store in a gallon size glass jar in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for later use.
TOGETHER, let us help build healthy, peaceful and happy communities with effective chronic disease prevention systems that will keep millions from developing deadly and debilitating disease. I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences through my FB/IG/TW.
Much love, Dr. C